The cover »
rim locks They are an excellent option for increasing the security of your home, here we tell you everything you need to know about this type of lock, from its features to its installation.
There are many types of locks, and rim locks are the most common locks, let’s see how they are in more detail. They are also easier to install than electric door locks.
What is a rim lock?
A rim lock is a kind of lock whose mechanism (palastro) is not incorporated or incorporated in the door, gate or gate, but is installed superficially.
Thus, the locking of the rim is placed, using screws and nuts, right on the door leaf. Not inside, as with any other type of lock.
Are the rim locks safe?
Since this type of rim lock is on display Many people wonder if rim locks are actually as safe as rim locks. dead locks.
To which we must say yes: the rim locks are quite secure, on all the most modern models that incorporate a complex and durable system of pins and pistons which, despite the fact that there are several simple That the ones you might find in a mortise lock at several points can effectively protect a door.
It should also be remembered that the safety level of a lock does not have to be calculated in isolation, because, although the rim locks currently meet the highest construction standards and guarantee a guard level considerable value, which is well suited to other locking systems, other issues that can sometimes be overlooked, such as door quality and the level of resistance it has.
A rim locking device is a screw that attaches to the door and if the door is not strong enough resist forces by brute force (blows and levers), it will be useless to have the lock to put more secure.
Of course, it should be considered that the price of wheel locks More modern is slightly larger than those with traditional design, but worth the investment.
Before you buy a rim lock
This is an important fact this should be taken into account hour from buy a lock to overlap.
It seems that these types of locks are manufactured taking into account the direction in which you open the doorSo, when you go to the specialty store to buy your rim lock, the clerk will ask you if you need one:
- Right rim lock or one
- Left rim lock.
How do you know if you need a right rim lock or a left rim lock?
You have certainly noticed that not all doors open in the same direction.
There are doors that open on the right and others on the left.
Well, you have to keep that in mind before buying a lock overlapping why?
Because if the lock opens in the opposite direction to closing your door, it would be of no use to you. Yes, you could urge her, but it would happen latch, SLIP and Nuts and bolts
would remain on display: on the leaf of the door and would be of no use.
The easiest way to tell in which direction the door opens on where to turn the key to open the door when you’re outside. And it’s simple, like this:
- If you need to turn the key to open clockwise, then you will need to buy one rim lock on the left.
- If you have to turn the key to open the door on the left, you will have to buy one lock the right rims.
The position of the hinges on the door frame can also be taken into account. In this case, you will buy a rim locking device depending on the side on which the door hinges are placed when viewed from the outside. To give:
- If the door is supported on the hinges on the right, the lock you need is correct.
- On the other hand, if your door is hinged to the left, the lock must be left.
Another method if you do not know what type of overlay to buy for your door
If it is still difficult for you to know what type of envelope lock you should buy, something you can do, which is also very simple, is: take pictures of the door with your mobile.
In the photos you should see the part where the door opens and you should also photograph the hinges. You can even make a video.
Of course, avoid using the front camera (for selfies) as it reverses the horizontal orientation of objects.
Then you can show the photos to the store clerk, who will tell you what types of rim locks you need.
How to install a step lock rim
Installing the rim lock is quite simple.
You have to:
- Locking the rim you want to install (respecting the door opening orientation).
- Drill several bits.
- Wrenches for tightening nuts.
Installing a rim lock
- The first thing you need to do is determine the height at which you will install the lock.
- Once you have decided exactly where you will install the lock, you need to open those holes with the drill. You will need a hole for the cylinder or cylinder and the holes that will hold the support plate of the lock.
- The next step is to secure the bracket or reinforcement plate with screws.
- Now you need to secure the lock using the nuts that come with the rim installation kit. Important: Before assembling the lock, check that the marks on a particular wire or washer on the back fit, as this depends on whether the mechanism is working properly. Attach the front lock to the edge of the door.
- The next step is to install the corner plate that fits inside the door, for this you must:
- In size.
- Open the holes with the drill.
- And then screw it on.
If all went well, the rim locking device should open and close easily both inside and out.