What is Word for? is one of the questions we ask ourselves when dealing with one of the most versatile Windows programs. And while it’s known for being an excellent and very comprehensive text editor, the truth is that Word allows you to perform many tasks that not all users know about. If you want to learn more about Word’s most important features, don’t miss all the information.
Find out what Word is for and all the activities it allows you to do
Microsoft Word is one of the most popular word processors in the computer world. We can edit text, copy and paste … but not all users know Word. Have you ever stopped to think about how many of the functions that Word actually offers you use?
Below you can check what these functions are, divided into tabs and how you can make the most of them.
In the Home tab, we find some of the most basic and important functions of Word. From here you can cut and paste, adjust the paragraphs…. The parts of this tab with their functions are the following:
- Clipboard: from this option we can use different types of copying and we can use a special paste. Thanks to this function we will be able to copy the text in the same source format, as in the place from which we copied it.
- Source: here we can choose the font, size, bold, underlined or italic
- Paragraph: You can adjust the paragraphs as you wish. You can organize them with alignment, dashes, numbering …
- Styles: we can choose an already predefined style so that it is applied to the whole text
- Edition: from here you can select text, search in text or replace
From the insert option, we can add various elements to the text, such as illustrations, hyperlinks, tables … Thus, we will find the following options:
- page: You can insert new blank pages, pauses or covers
- plates: You can add a predefined table, a table from scratch, or you can export a table from Excel
- Illustrations: Add images, graphics, or shapes to your text
- Links: Add links to your text, either internally or externally, to other websites
- Header and footer: model your text by creating headers, footers and numbering
- Text: You will be able to insert text boxes that you can place in different areas of the document
- Symbol: This option will help you insert all kinds of symbols, such as enter the heart symbol, as well as other types of mathematical symbols
From the page layout tab, you can configure the entire document, from changing the background to organizing the elements that make it up, changing the indentation, or changing the space. The elements that make up this section of Word are the following:
- subject: You can define a specific look for your document.
- Page setup– Resize the document, orientation, set the edge size, and even create a column document
- Page background: choose whether you want your document to have a white background or give it some color and even watermark
- Paragraph: You can change the indentation and paragraph spacing in your document.
- Organize: Set how you want the elements of the document to be presented. For example, you can group, align, or change the appearance of images
From this option you can add references to your document. This will give it a much more professional look, especially if you decide configure the APA format in Word. You can find the following features:
- content: in this section you can create an index for your document. You can organize the content into levels and it is very useful when you need to create a contained in APA format, it is very easy to configure it
- Footnotes: write the clarifications at the bottom of the page or at the end of the document
- Quotes and bibliography: Add the sources you relied on to run your business
- headlines: Create document titles
- Table of authorities: Use this option to cite the authorities that should appear in your document as references
Despite the fact that it is becoming less and less common, it is still possible to use a correspondence format. From this tab you can create envelopes, you can create copies for different senders … The sections that make it up are the following:
- Create envelopes: from this option you can configure the structure of a document so that it can be printed correctly in an envelope
- Create labels: You can structure a text to fit the format of a label
- Correspondence combination: this option is great when you need to send multiple copies of the same document to multiple recipients and want to keep the same format, changing only small data
- Select recipients: In this function, you only have to choose the recipients of each document
In this section of Word, there are those functions that allow us to make the necessary corrections to our document. This way, you can check the spelling of a text and even make translations. The sections that make it up are the following:
- Spelling and grammar: Automatically corrects text and looks for major spelling and grammar errors
- Reference: look up the references needed to complete the document, with their meanings, by looking in a dictionary
- synonymy: you can replace the most repeated words with synonyms
- Count words: count the words that make up the text in whole or in part
- Translate: use the translator to configure a language in which we want to translate a text
From this option, we will have access to the functions that allow us to view the document in a specific way. You can set the zoom or change the view of a document. The options are as follows:
- Rule: in this case you can add a rule that defines the dimensions on the top and left edge
- Grille: You can display a grid on the entire page
- Navigation panel: You can see or hide the navigation panel
- Zoom: enlarge or reduce the document so that you can work on it comfortably
- A page: You can view the document on a single page
- Two pages: You can see the document in two pages
The developer tab is not used by most users. This is because it requires specific knowledge to be able to use it. In short, it is responsible for automating certain tasks and processes, so in many cases you will need to have certain programming knowledge.
Some of its most notable features are:
- Use ActiveX controls
- Use XML commands
- Run macros
- Create new shapes and symbols
This feature is not usually seen with the naked eye, but must be added manually in the top bar. To do this you need to go to File> Options> Ribbon Customization. Select the Scheduler check box.
As you’ll see when you start using Word, you’ll find many other options in these features that will allow you to create different versions of the document, hide options you don’t care about, or write anywhere in the document. Feel free to enter each of the The functions of the word to discover many options that will surely be of great use to you.
Did you know …
Average employee: He is 38 years old, a man and his average salary is $ 106,000 a year.
Was it useful to you? Loading …