Open or map ports It proves to be one of the solutions for some connection problems, video conferencing, online games, etc. If you are a regular user, you may have heard of this term, but do not know what it is or how to do it.
A port can be compared to a room, which only includes people working in that department. For this reason, if they are closed, they cause problems that can be solved by opening them, thus facilitating computer traffic. There are several brands of router, either TP-Link or among others, which is responsible for sending and processing data and, with the help of ports, performs this operation in an orderly manner.
The first thing you should know is that there are 65536 ports which are classified into three different levels which are:
- Known ports: these ports are from 0 to 1023, which are always open, they are reserved for the operating system and used by web servers such as HTTP, POP3 / SMTP e-mail servers and Telnet.
- Registered ports: these are ports used by applications and games installed on the computer ranging from 1024 to 49151.
- Dynamic or private ports: found from 49152 to 65535 used by P2P servers, games or online applications, among others.
How can you manually open the ports of a router?
To perform this process you must first know your IP address whereas in order to make the changes it is necessary to identify it. There are several ways to know it, in Windows you can do it by entering the command prompt and then placing the ipconfig command, this can even be done to open the ports of your Huawei modem or any other brand.
This command will reveal a value chain, there we will find a default link which will be the IP address.
Every the router has a different interfaceThis may change depending on the manufacturer, we will show you how to do it in a generic way.
- Enter your router configuration it will require your IP address hence the importance of knowing her well.
- The second step is to select one of these options: NAT, Port Fowarding, others may appear, for example as Advanced Options.
- Once you select it, a menu will appear in which you will need it enter the data of the port you want to activate. Name, LAN or IP WAN IP Address, Start and End LAN Port, Start and End WAN Port, UDP / TCP Protocol.
- When you have completed filling in the desired port information activates save information, you may need to restart the router.
How do I automatically enable ports on a router?
Most current routers have a function that the previous Universal Plug and Play or UPnP did not have, This feature automatically enables and disables ports of the router you are using, giving you more security. To enable the UPnP feature of your router, you need to follow the steps below.
- Enter the router configuration, type the IP address of the network gateway in the address bar.
- You will enter the router with the username and password created at startup, with this the option to activate UPnP will appear. It has its own menu, otherwise it can be found in the NAT option or in Advanced Configuration.
- You can see if the option is enabled, by default it is usually disabled, turn it on and save your changes.
Another similar procedure is the DMZ or Demilitarized Zone, which is more recommended for game consoles. This is due to the lack of security it offers, leaving all ports open which is not recommended.
By performing any of these processes, you will see how network connectivity, video conferencing, or online gaming improve in many ways. You can check if they are found active ports of the router and that the changes have been saved as follows.
From Mac: Access your network utility, scan ports, enter your IP address, explore and check the ports you’ve opened. Windows 10: press Windows + R, cmd, Enter, enter the command netstat -an, Enter, a list of ports and protocols will open.
By following the steps we go through and becoming more familiar with them, you can even extend or limit your bandwidth. Because they are similar in some ways, this way you will get the most out of your network.