Testdisk command is a tool used in partition analysis to check for bad sectors. By running this command, not only will you be able to recover a lost partition, but you will also be able to repair it. One of its main advantages is that it has support for the file system of various operating systems, so we can run it on anyone. Below is all the information needed to carry out its execution.
Compatibility and uses of the test disk
Testdisk is a very useful tool that will help us solve problems such as:
- Recover and fix the partition table
- Recover and rebuild these FAT32 boot sectors
- Fix FAT load tables
- Rebuild and recover NTFS boot sectors
- Recover and copy files from FAT, NTFS and ext2 / ext3 / ext4 partitions
TestDisk is compatible with the following operating systems:
- DOS (real or in a Windows 9x window),
- Windows (NT4, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista),
- FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
- SunOS and
For start using TestDisk, you need to access the page web download tool and choose the operating system in which you are going to install it. The test disk is downloaded to a zip file, so you need to unzip the file and locate the executable file. This will be determined by the name testdisk_win.exe. Double-clicking it will start the download. From here, the most common solutions that TestDisk offers are the following.
Find lost partitions with TestDisk
One of the options offered by TestDisk is to locate those partitions that have a problem or are lost.
- When TestDisk has been downloaded, click on it and a screen like the command prompt will appear. At this point TestDisk will identify the storage devices that are installed. Choose the problematic device and select Keep going. Then press Introduction
- On the next screen, a window will appear in which you can choose the partition table of the hard disk. Finally you will have to choose the option Analyze. It will start searching for partition structures on the hard disk. The program will locate the lost partitions
Recover a deleted partition with TestDisk
If you need to recover a damaged partition with TestDisk the process is as follows:
- By clicking TestDisk tool, the screen will open and we will choose the option Create. This option allows us to create a new file that will help us recover the partition
- The system will recognize the hard drives in your computer. You must choose the one that contains the deleted partition. When you select the disc, you must press Enter for the program to start scanning
- For recovery options, choose the Scans option and on the next «quick search» screen
- When the program locates the table, press Enter and TestDisk will rewrite the partition table. If the program does not locate any partition tables, you need to choose the «Deeper Search» option, which will make the search more thorough.
- As soon as the program writes the partition table, you need to restart the computer. The hard disk drive will be repaired
TestDisk it is a tool with great potential. However, the amount of information it provides can be complex for users who do not have enough knowledge about it. In any case, you can always make a copy of the results so that a better informed person can help you interpret them. Remember that this tool is very useful for hard drives, USB and others data storage devices, so don’t stop using it to keep them in good condition.
Did you know …
At the end of 2015, Samsung set the record for the largest 16 TB hard drive
Was it useful to you? Loading …