The cover »
If you want to learn remove the hinged door lock, you have come to the right place, because here we will teach you how to change the safety locks on the garage door.
Something that might seem complicated, being a big door like a parking lot or a garage, is actually something easy to do with tools that you definitely have at home.
But first let’s see what a swinging door and what is the difference from other garage doors or doors.
What is an air door?
Overhead doors are used in parking lots or garages, as you prefer to call them.
The main feature of this type of door is that it tilts, ie it has the ability to lift or lift either mechanically or manually due to a counterweight, remaining high while the car enters the garage.
The best thing is that it does not take up space and does not prevent cars from entering the garage.
Everything you need to know about the air door lock
Here are some tips before you venture out of dismantling your garage door lock.
Get the tools you need.
Having all the tools at hand will be essential to being able to remove the hinged door lockSo be careful with the tools you will use to remove the lock, of course, all locks are different, so take a good look at the lock to see what you need.
- Screwdriver or flat head screwdriver
- Spline screwdriver or screwdriver
- Wrenches of different sizes (suitable for nuts) or pliers
These are some of the tools to use and everything you might have at home.
Follow each of the steps
Following the steps is essential to be able to disassemble the door lock above the head, as failure to do so can complicate the procedure.
But don’t worry, it’s not difficult at all.
Buy the right lock for your garage door
I said, there are a large number of models door locks and if yours has been damaged, the best thing you can do is take a picture of the lock and go to the hardware or lock for a similar lock.
Learn how to remove the door lock from above
Now we will teach you how to remove the door lock above your head in simple steps.
- Go inside your garage and locate the lock.
- The first thing you should do if you have a handle is to remove it with a slotted or flat screwdriver, it will depend on the lock.
- Then you have to remove the rod from the lock, This can be done with a wrench the size of a nut or pliers.
- The screwdriver removes the screws that hold the hinged door lock.
- Once the screws have been removed, the door lock can be removed above the head, which should come out without any problems, if you have problems with removing it, use a small lever with the flat screwdriver.
- Now you can install a new lock for the air door of your garage, placing it in the same place and putting the screws that hold it.
- Once the new lock is installed, you need to replace the rod and secure it with the nut.
- Then place the handle and screw, it will only remain to test if the new air door lock works well.
But, if your air door lock is in good condition and you just want to improve its security level by adding a high quality cylinder, then keep in mind that this part interests you.
Remove the hinged door lock to change the cylinder
If you want to make your door lock above your head more secure, it’s best to change the bowl for maximum safety and, at best, it is something very easy to do.
The first thing you should do is buy a safety bowl for door locks, you have to take into account the brand in addition to the fact that the locks of the overhead doors are much smaller than the locks of an ordinary door, so take a photo to show it in the locksmith or in the hardware store.
Now, let’s take out the swingarm lock to change the cylinder.
Go inside the air door and locate the lock.
- Using a screwdriver or a screwdriver, remove the screws that hold the locking cap.
- Once the locking cap is removed, the part that holds the cylinder in place, commonly referred to as a captive, is removed.
- Now, from the outside of the garage, remove the old bowl and place the new one, pushing it inside.
- The captive is put back in place and tightened so that the cylinder remains in position.
- Now it’s time to place the cover that covers the lock, don’t forget to place and tighten the screws well.
- With the lock and the new cylinder in place, all that remains is to test whether the lock works properly and that’s it.
Now that you know how to remove a door lock, we recommend that you learn some of these tips to make your door safer and prevent car theft.
Tips to make an air door safer
Install at the bottom of the overhead door a fixing lock or a fastening group, with this, the door can not be forced from the bottom, because this type of locks makes it stick to the ground.
Place a hardened steel plate under the lock, thieves always try to attack where the lock is, the best thing to avoid damaging it is by attaching a hardened steel plate so that no one can force the lock.
The horizontal reinforcement bar, in most places where greater security is required, it is better to place a horizontal reinforcement bar, which allows the door not to be opened from below.
Another good option to make the air door safer is to place one armored lockThey are more robust and stronger than regular locks, as they are covered with a few millimeters of steel, which makes them less corruptible.