Our computers are made up of various systems, and their configuration has evolved over the years. Case is the BIOS of our computers, which we can configure in an auxiliary way. This for jump start from a USB or CD / DVD drive. Leaving us a good option when accessing the configuration from the computer.
Setting up our BIOS for this type of process is something that most people will be able to do without any problems. That way we can download an operating system from Microsoft Windows. But it is better to educate yourself before doing this wrong and causing an irreparable failure of our hardware. So if you’ve come to learn how to do it, this is the place to be.
What is the main function of the computer BIOS?
She is who allows you to perform basic functions. From the meaning of the acronym BIOS we can assume its basic input / output function. What is translated means a basic input and output system.
The main function of the BIOS is start the computer boot naturally and without external support. In the same way, he will be in charge of checking the optimal operation of the hardware parts. Between this graphics card, CPU, memory and other hardware components, including a partial diagnosis by system beeps. This function is called POST (Power on self test) or self-start test.
In similar cases, The BIOS may have configuration errors on ignition, causing a malfunction. A good option to fix this would be to reset the BIOS or UEFI and clear the CMOS of my computer’s motherboard. This would leave with the standard configuration and could allow us to start the computer, if necessary.
Other BIOS functions
- Individual upload of programs for successful startup
- Adaptability for installation of firmware operating systems
- Communication bridge between CPU and installed software (hardware abstraction layer)
- Device power consumption control.
- Checking external disks and memories (whether CD / DVD or USB)
What are the types of BIOS that can be presented on computers?
We can find several of these chips, the main difference can be reached in your engraving method. Well, there will be those who will be able to change or not the startup code registered on them.
Among the most common chips we will have ROM, EPROM, FLASH BIOS (as well as the three main representatives). In the same way we can get UEFI BIOS, Plug and Play and Shadow, although we will focus on the first three.
Its meaning is read-only memory, it has the characteristic of being modified only once that chip is manufactured. It is defined as a non-volatile memory when cannot be modified in the upload code. Therefore, when it is turned off, you will not lose the information that corresponds to its operation.
Its acronyms in our language are understood as memory only in programmable and erased reading, for this reason they can be modified. The change is made with a scheduler BIOS EPROM and delete old information with UV light.
Finally, the Flash BIOS is a memory that can be modified, ie it is volatile. Because through the appropriate program we can update or modify it. One of the advantages of Flash BIOS is that you don’t need another computer to reprogram it.
What does it take to be able to start the computer from the rescue media?
We must keep in mind that this process will be simple and fast. We have to have the following programs and devices to be able to start the computer from a media. And, of course, our computer battery is charged and, otherwise, a stable electrical connection.
- USB memory (larger than 4 GB) or CD / DVD disc (depending on the tool you want to use to turn on the computer
- ISO file with our favorite operating system, which we can download from the Windows page.
- Program to create a bootable drive (or a burner for our CD player). Among which we can use the Rufus tool for the first or Nero Burning otherwise.
- Find out which keys we will use to enter our BIOS menu
- CD player and / or USB ports
Once we have downloaded the ISO of the operating system, we will continue to use the program to create the boot disk. If we do it from a USB, RUFUS application will select immediately USB memory and it will be up to us to select the ISO in which we saved it.
After that, we will configure if our boot disk is suitable for our BIOS, in the section «Destination system». Once we have configured, we click on the «Start» button, it will delete all the data from the USB memory. Therefore, we must keep the unit clean so that we do not lose anything important.
When using a CD / DVD disc, we need to insert the CD burner, load the ISO image from where we saved it. We will place the CD in the reading unit (which must be without any writing). Then he we click on the option to register CD / DVD and go.
Procedure for setting up the BIOS and accessing the computer with a USB stick or CD / DVD
Already with USB stick or CD / DVD disc ready and configured, we will continue with the procedure. We must first take into account to rule out that this did not happen due to a failure with the updates, starting our computer enabled safe mode in the BIOS.
- We need to restart our computer (we will do this from the Start menu in the shutdown options)
- In the boot menu of the BIOS we will look for how access the BIO menuS. It goes from the Delete key (on some systems like Intel). On other keys such as F2, F1 or the F10, F11 and F12 keys.
- A blue menu will open with a large number of options, to move between different menus we will use the arrows on the keyboard.
- locate Advanced Features BIOS option (Can be obtained as BIOS functions in advance, depending on the configured language). Or also as BOOT depending on the brand of the BIOS manufacturer.
- Locate the First Boot Device option. A box will appear in which we will mark the option we want to use. In our case it will be USB or CD / DVD. If we use the BOOT menu, we can configure it from the first option. The options and instructions to follow in the BIOS will appear on the right side.
- Finally, we’ll use the «Exit and save changes» option. Usually at the bottom usually appear which key we need to press for this, try F10. We accept in the confirmation menu and ready.
It is important tener has already introduced external boot support which we set up for our computer. This way we will avoid startup errors when starting the computer with the new configuration. Next we can enable or disable the virtualization of our BIOS from our Windows 10 operating system.
There are teams that can enter these units through the load menu or the start menu. We can know this in the loading menu, usually via the F11 key. Here you just have to choose the environment from which we will start. Once you have done this, a screen will appear with the message «press any key to boot from USB or CD / DVD».