Oracle 18c database is the latest generation of the world’s most popular database and can be deployed in Oracle spaces and / or clouds, runs on general purpose hardware or systems designed specifically for database workloads such as Oracle Exadata and Oracle Database.
Provides access to the fastest and most scalable solutions, plus reliable database technology for secure and profitable transaction deployment, as well as cloud, local, and hybrid cloud workload analysis.
Oracle Database 18c adds new features and enhancements to features previously introduced in Oracle Database 12c, including:
- Multitenan architecturet for cost savings and agility.
- Store columns in memory (Store columns in memory) for a massive performance gain for real-time analysis.
- Fragments of native databases for high availability of massive web applications.
- Many more critical capabilities to improve database performance, availability, security, analysis and application development.
Oracle 18c database was the first annual release of the Oracle database software release model. By comparison, Oracle Database 18c can be seen as what would have been the first patch configured in Oracle Database 12c Release 2 in the previous version model. Looking ahead, customers will no longer have to wait a few years for the next generation of Oracle databases and can anticipate the introduction of new features and database enhancements on a regular annual basis. Oracle Database 18c (and subsequent annuals) also stands out as a core component of the independent Oracle Database Cloud.
Multi-tenant architecture in Oracle 18c database
Designed for the cloud (public or private), Oracle’s multi-tenant database offers a unique architecture that simplifies consolidation and provides high-density schema-based consolidation, but without the need for changes to existing applications. In this architecture, a single multi-user container database (CDB) can host many «connectable» databases (PDBs). Each consolidated or «connected» database to a multi-tenant container looks and feels the same in applications as for a pre-multi-tenant Oracle database. When consolidating multiple databases into a multi-user container, many connectable databases share the processor and memory resource container, allowing a higher level of database consolidation density. In addition, all PDBs in a CDB are effectively «managed as one» for database backup, correction, update, and backup operations.
Oracle’s multitenant database also allows for fast provisioning, cloning, and moving databases. For example, if the supported file system supports copying (for example, ZFS file system, ASM cluster file system, etc.), cloning of the connectable database can occur almost instantly.
Other agility features of the Oracle multitrain database include:
- DB Hot Clone allows quick instantiation of PDB without having to disconnect users.
- PDB Refresh allows regular updating of PDBs with the latest data.
- Relocated PDBs allow the relocation of PDBs between CDBs with almost zero downtime.
Enhancements to multitenant functionality
Oracle 18c database introduces a number of improvements to existing multi-stakeholder functionality, including:
- Faster deployment of updates, updates, and patches. A new infrastructure further reduces the execution time of database updates, updates and fixes.
- Transportable backups accept the use of backups made on a PDB before disconnecting it and connecting it to a new container. This facilitates the agile relocation of PDBs between CDBs, perhaps for load balancing or migration between facilities and the cloud, without the need to back up immediately before and after each PD relocation.
- The Carousel snapshot allows customers to define common PDB snapshots that can then be used to retrieve a complete point in time or for a specific point in the clone over time. The Snapshot Carousel is ideal for development environments, which usually require multiple copies of databases at different times, or to enhance a non-mission critical recovery and recovery process.
- Renewable PDB conversion allows customers to create a PDB, which is an incrementally updated copy of a master PDB that can be later exchanged between them. When this happens, the PDB master becomes the clone and the old clone becomes the master. This ability will make it even easier for customers to switch workloads between different CBDs.
Oracle Database 18c Free download for Windows
Oracle Client 18c Free download for Windows
Oracle Client 18c Windows