Unzip a file It is a necessary task to be able to receive a large volume of documents without affecting the computer’s memory. Compressing a file reduces space and can be stored on an external drive, sent by e-mail, uploaded to a web storage server, among many other tasks. There are several ways to easily unzip a file. Let’s see the most common.
Ways to unzip a file
For compress a file, what is achieved is that it takes up less space. However, this will not affect the contents or configuration of the file. Compressed files generally have the extension .zip or .rar and various alternatives can be followed to decompress them.
Unzip a file from Windows 10
If you are a user of Windows 10, you should know that you can unzip a file without using third-party programs. To do this, you must follow the procedure below:
- Go to the compressed file (it will come in .zip or .rar format), select it and right-click
- Select the option Remove everything
- A window will now open in which we need to enter the exact location where we want the files to be decompressed
- All files will be located in the specified path and you can view them by accessing it
Unzip an archive with WinRAR or WinZip
Another option to unzip a file is to use one third party program. In this case, the most used will be WinZip and WinRAR.
Unzip a file with WinZip
If you have a compressed folder in .zip format, the program to be used must be WinZip.
- The first step is download the WinZip program (available for Windows and Mac)
- Then click the file you want to unzip with the right mouse button and select the option Pull at the end (name of the extraction path)
- Accept and in just a few seconds, all documents will be unzipped to the destination folder
Unzip an archive with WinRAR
WinRAR is another option available for decompressing files that are in .rar format.
- The first step is download the WinRAR program (available for both Windows and Mac)
- Then you have to select the WinRAR file with the right mouse button. Select WinRAR option and Draw here
- The files contained in the compressed folder will be automatically downloaded to the specified path
Unzip files to other formats
You may encounter some files that have been compressed formats other than WinRAR or WinZip. In this case, there are other alternatives for both Windows and Mac.
Unzip all file types from Windows
PeaZip It is one of the most complete tools that exists when it comes to decompressing files in Windows. Besides being totally free and open source, it is simple and very functional.
One of its main advantages is that it supports the decompression of at least 150 and no less than 150 formats, including ACE, ARJ, CAB, DMG, ISO, LHA, RAR, UDF or ZIPX among many others.
Another option to consider when decompressing files in different formats is Bandizip. If there’s one thing that makes this file decompression app stand out, it’s the speed with which it decompresses documents.
Bandizip it is compatible with many formats and also has an interesting option that allows you to analyze if the files are damaged. In short, a great free option that will help you decompress the main file formats in just a few seconds.
Unzip all file types on your Mac
The archivist It is probably the most complete file compression and decompression program for Mac.
The highlight of this program is the large number of formats it can decompress in just a few seconds. It’s also a completely free app that you need to have on your Mac.
Unzip a file It is no longer a problem, as there are several alternatives that facilitate this task. It also offers many possibilities, such as the ability to put a password to register or compress a large number of documents into different parts.
Did you know …
An «empty» human brain is described in about 20 megabytes of information.
Was it useful to you? Loading …