Remove write protection from a USB It is necessary when we need to format or modify, copy, cut or delete files. Sometimes it’s as simple as unlocking the write-protect button or tab that is already activated on your device. However, either because it has been damaged or because USB simply does not have this tab, you need to use other solutions to remove write protection on both Windows and Mac, as shown below. .
What is write protection and how to disable it?
A USB or flash drive usually has one write protection system, to protect your device against viruses or misuse by third parties. This system must be able to be deactivated when the user decides, but in many cases it is not, and when we have to use our small device the message of dreaded error appears: «The disk is write-protected». What are the solutions?
Use the regedit command
One of the The most effective methods to remove write protection from a USB is to use your computer’s registry editor. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to Start> Run
- Type the «regedit» command and press Enter
- A window will open. You must go to the route: Computer HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control Storagedevicepolicies
- When you are in this option, you need to double-click the WriteProtect option. This is the register that handles USB writing
- A screen will now appear with an option showing Value Information. You need to change the value that appears in this box and enter a 0
- From now on, USB write protection will be disabled. Just press OK to accept the changes and you will be able to exit the Windows registry
What happens if the StorageDevicePolicies folder does not appear?
You may find this out during the trial The StorageDevicePolicies folder does not appear. In this case, you need to create and configure it manually. Step by step is as follows:
- Click the folder Control> New> Key
- Give the new folder name, which in this case will be StorageDevicesPolicies
- Go to this new folder and right-click on the right pane. Choose New> DWORD value (32 bits)
- In value you have to write WriteProtect. Put a 0 in the box Value information
- Press OK to accept and save the changes
Use the «prompt» command or cmd.exe
Another more radical method than the previous one, when the latter did not work for us, is to use the command or to register «promptly». However, we need to keep in mind that with this option, what we will do is delete all the existing content on USB, so you need to make sure before doing it.
Step by step to use the command «prompt«Or cmd.exe is next:
- Go to Start> Run
- Then you have to write the order cmd
- A new window will open and we will have to write the word «Diskpart«
- In the new window you have to write «List the disc«. All disk drives connected to the computer will appear
- Now you need to find the number that the USB drive corresponds to. When you have located it, write «Select the disc»The following is the number of the hard disk drive. For example Select disc 3
- Finally you need to write «attribute clear disk»And press Enter. This option will completely delete the entire contents of the drive
Use the Windows 10 Group Policy Editor
Another option to remove USB write protection, only for Windows 10 users, use Group Policy Editor. To do this, follow the detailed procedure:
Go to Start> Run and write gpedit.msc
- A new window will appear. I have to go to Computer setup> Administrative templates> System> Removable storage access
- Policies will appear below. Specifically, there are three: removable disks (deny access to execution), removable disks (deny read access), removable disks (deny write access). Each of these policies must be configured to remain an option Disabled. Just double-click on each of them, apply and accept
Make a format from the advanced loading mode
There is a path to power USB format directly so that write protection can be removed. To do this, you must turn on your computer advanced charging mode:
- First turn off the computer, and then insert the USB drive
- Then turn on the computer and press the F8 key repeatedly to activate the advanced boot of the operating system
- You don’t have to press safe mode, but you’ll need to go directly to the USB drive by entering the address C: Windows system32> which will allow you to locate it
- Then you need to type the command «format» as follows: (device name): format (device name)
- Press the Y key and let the computer activate the necessary formatting operations. The write protection will be completely erased
Remove USB write protection on your Mac
Now that you know what The most effective ways to fix the write-protected USB problem in Windows, the question about fixing this issue on the Mac appears. The method is as follows:
- Go to your Mac browser and type «Disk Utility»
- A screen with all Mac storage devices will appear
- Select the device, which in this case will be pendrive and click «Delete»
- Then you need to go to the «Format» tab and click on it
- Various formatting options will appear. You must select the Mac OS Plus (with registration) option. You need to name the device and click «Delete»
- Now the device will acquire a new format with the chosen name. Your pendrive will be ready to save, delete and edit files
All these little tutorials will be very helpful on both Windows and Mac. When you have finally managed to remove the USB write protection, you will be able to use it with all its functions. Using USB involves other errors, such as «USB device not recognized» error, which you can solve in a few steps.
Did you know …
You can use USB as additional RAM in the device’s Readyboost option.
Was it useful to you? Loading …