Make your computer faster is one of the questions that many users want to solve. Probably few things are as frustrating in the computer world as having a computer that doesn’t respond at the right time. Especially when we have to use the computer to work. However, there are some tips that can be helpful in speeding up computer processes. Let’s see how to put them into practice.
Useful tips to improve your computer speed
Over time, computers tend to slow down the speed at which they work. Gradually, you may notice that the time to open a folder, a document, an application and even surf the internet, among other tasks, becomes longer.
If you want to know how to avoid this problem and improve computer performance, don’t miss the following helpful tips.
Disable and / or delete programs or applications that you no longer use
Although we can’t detect it with the naked eye, the simple fact that you have a program installed on your computerEven if we don’t use it, it consumes resources on our computer. This may cause your computer to slow down.
To avoid this, it is necessary to check what problems we have installed and how to remove them correctly. The steps to follow are:
- Open the menu Start> Run and type the command MSConfig. Then press OK
- Go to the tab Services, check what processes are active on the computer. If you select Hide all Microsoft processes, you can hide basic programs or processes that should not be removed
- You can disable all other processes that appear in the list, and your computer will no longer consume those resources.
Another option is remove applications and programs that we no longer use. Browse the list of everything that is installed on your computer and you will realize that there are already programs that you do not need. Feel free to run the uninstaller to kill them all.
Delete temporary files
Temporary files are those that are created when from the programs we use. This little information is only needed at a specific time. After that, they are stored on your hard drive, although they will no longer serve. This can cause your computer to run slowly. For this reason it is necessary to remove them.
To achieve this temporary cleaning of files have to go to Start> Run and write the order % temp%. Select the files from the list and click Delete.
Run Disk Cleanup
There is a small tool in Windows that can be very useful when we need to clean those unusable files or temporary backups that will no longer be useful to us. These files consume a lot of computer resources, so you need to get rid of them to prevent your computer from slowing down.
- To run the disk cleanup you need to open it Start> Run and write the order cleanmgr
- When it opens, you need to click Clean Disk. A list of files will appear, select everything and accept
Perform a disk defragmentation
Older computers must meet especially one disk defragmentation regularly. This is because the different parts of the program files we store are kept in small parts. This means that if there are too many programs, it is increasingly difficult to run them quickly because your computer has to search for each part of the program.
When we defragment a disk, what we do is order each of these parts. It joins all the parts of the file and thus a faster response is obtained.
For defragment your hard drive, you need to follow the steps below:
- Go to Start, in the search box you have to type Disk defragmentation
- In the current state, you need to select the disk you want to defragment. Click Scan Disk to see the defragmentation rate. When the percentage is higher than 10%, you must perform the process.
- Then select the Disk Defragment option. The time required to complete the entire process will depend on the number of files
SSDs They are the best option to expand the RAM and avoid slowing down the computer. They are more expensive and have a lower storage capacity. However, computer performance is much faster and more efficient.
Disable those processes that run in the background
The moment we start using the computer, a multitude of processes begin. Many of these processes run in the background, even when we have closed a certain program or if we do not use them.
- To check what these processes are and continue to delete them, we need to access Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete
- Then we need to select the Processes option to see which works and how many Ram and CPU consumes
- If any of them consume too many resources, we can click Finish Process
Give up visual effects
the latest versions of Windows, include attractive visual effects with shadows and transparencies. However, this graphic resolution can be one of the causes of the computer slowing down, especially if it is not a very advanced computer.
- For this reason, in some cases it may be effective to forgo these effects. To do this you need to click on an area of the desktop and right-click to select Customize> Edit visual effects
- Then you need to select one of the classic Windows themes
- Another option is to do without visual effects by accessing Computer> Properties (right click)> Advanced System Settings
- The next step is to follow the route Advanced Options> Performance> Settings and we are located in Visual effects. Just check the Adjust option to get the best performance
Disable Windows search indexing and suggestions
search indexing It is very useful because it allows all the related results to appear in a minimum time just by entering a word in the search engine. However, it is a resource-consuming service that we can do without. To deactivate it, you must follow the steps indicated:
- From Windows Explorer, right-click and select Properties
- In general, uncheck «Allow files on this drive to have indexed content …» and «Apply changes to C: drive, subfolders, and files»
The same goes for Tips for Windows, a service we can use Windows 10. Tips for Windows works by providing tips to improve performance or improve the user experience. However, it is another dispensable service. To remove it you need to do the following
- Go to Start> Settings> System
- Choose Notifications and actions and disable the option «Get tips, tricks, and tips while using Windows»
Check for malware
Finally, it is not necessary to rule out the presence of some malware which can cause your computer to slow down. Often, the presence of a virus can cause a code to slow down your computer.
For this reason, it is advisable to use appropriate software that detects this type of «invasion». By eliminating viruses and malicious files, we can experience a remarkable improvement of the computer.
You can use a VIRUS or use a malware detection program.
There are many causes that can cause our computer to run smoothly. It is important to detect them and make the necessary changes to improve performance. In this way, we can take much better advantage of all the options while taking care of our equipment, extending its life.
Did you know …
The first computer was mechanical and occupied 167 square meters and weighed 27 tons. His name was ENIAC.
Was it useful to you? Loading …