If your cell phone has been stolen or lost, you can prevent another person from accessing your information through IMEI lock. It’s a secure way to protect your personal data, such as contacts, messages, photos, and videos.
Let’s see first what is IMEIand then explain how to lock your device safely using this method.
What is IMEI
It is a unique 15-digit code assigned to all mobile phones and represents the international identity of each team. It is extremely important to keep this number, as you will need it when you need to lock your smartphone in case of theft or loss.
Each mobile has a different IMEI. This code is automatically transmitted to your telephone network when you connect to the Internet. In this way, the operator can see who is making each call and where it is coming from.
What happens in the IMEI block
In most cases, when a person steals a mobile phone, he does it to sell it or to sell his parts. Criminals know that the owner will probably lock the smartphone, but the speaker, sensors, camera and RAM will still work perfectly. So at report of IMEI You make the thief’s task difficult.
With this lock, your phone won’t be able to make calls, send messages, or use gigabytes to browse the Internet. If someone manages to unlock the mobile phone or reset it from the factory, they can only connect to the network via WiFi.
IMEI lock keys
You should consider the following recommendations when making this block:
- Find out the IMEI of your device
- You can file a complaint with the police with the purchase invoice
- If you bought your mobile phone directly from an operator, call and ask them to block it
- If you purchased the device with another company, you must call the operator to register the IMEI in the database
- I was robbed, now what about my files? Even if you manage to block your stolen cell phone, your photos, videos, and apps will still be accessible if the killer receives your PIN
- If you recover your device and find it blocked by IMEI, you must call the operator to request the unlock
How to block through IMEI
You have the right to report your stolen phone Contact your telephone service provider instantly. Once you have done the management, you will be able to Request one new SIM card with the same phone number.
To lock your stolen mobile phone, you must have the following at hand:
- Phone number
- Name, surname and address of the line holder
- Equipment Identification Number (IMEI)
You must first call a customer service agent, report phone theft and cancel the line using the operator’s contact means. Here we will explain how to carry out the process in different telephone companies:
If you haven’t lost your mobile phone and your operator is Orange, you can get IMEI in different ways:
- Mark code * # 06 # On the cell phone
- The code may appear in your device menu by pressing «About the phone»
- You can also find it on the stickers that the battery brings
If your equipment has been stolen, you can search for IMEI in the original box or on the purchase invoice. To block it, do the following:
- Call 1470 if you are private or 1471 if you represent a company
If you have recovered your mobile phone and requested the lock, you will need to unlock it to make it work again. To perform this procedure, call 1470.
Important: Make sure it is impossible to recover your device before requesting a lock, as Orange may take several months to unlock a phone.
To lock a mobile phone with a Telcel line, you need to know the IMEI of the device. There are two ways to get it:
- Mark al * # 06 #from the device and write down the code you see on the screen
- Check the battery of the terminal for the series
If you don’t know your IMEI code and have lost your mobile phone, you need to follow these steps to lock your mobile phone:
- Call Telcel at * 264 or * 111. You can also go to one of the company’s customer service branches
- Explain what happened to your mobile and request the IMEI block
- Provide your device data and personal information as the owner of the line
- Tell them your IMEI code
Important: Your device will be locked for a period of time 24 to 48 hours, the period of time for the operator to verify and process the information.
If a mobile phone with a Vodafone line is stolen, you must immediately lock your device via IMEI by following these steps:
- Look for the IMEI code of your terminal in the original box, in the purchase invoice or in this link that will direct you to the customer area of «Vodafone to me»> Mobile contract> My mobile and SIM> My mobile
- Call 900 920 914 and request the IMEI code
- Explain your situation to the operator so that he can continue to restrict the line with lock text messages, calls and the use of gigabytes
- We recommend that you submit a report to the National Police within 48 hours of your device being stolen. You can send a copy to the following email address. email@example.com for specify the device restriction process
- Upon completion of management, access to the equipment will be blocked
If the mobile phone connected to a Movistar line is lost or stolen, here are the procedures for blocking the mobile phone by IMEI:
- Call 1004 and request a lock
- Suspend the line online by clicking here or go to a Movistar service agent with your ID to create a duplicate SIM card and cancel the previous one
If your device is covered by the Movistar policy, you need to perform the following procedures to study the details of the situation:
- Report the theft within 24 hours. Indicates the make, model and IMEI of the device
- Call the insurance company within 7 days of the theft to indicate the IMEI of the mobile phone, the line number and the report you made to the police.
- They will give you a new team. When you have it, you have to Call 1004 to reactivate the line
Lock an Android phone
If, unfortunately, your Android phone has been stolen, the tool Find my device lets you know your mobile location in real time.
Follow these steps:
- Enter Find My Device on your computer or mobile
- Sign in to your Google Account
- You will find the devices connected to your account.
- Select the mobile of interest
- If your device is connected to the Internet with GPS enabled, you can track a mobile phone and find its location in real time. Otherwise, the computer will be displayed as unavailable
- Touch Device lock
- You can send a message to the person who owns the mobile phone and give them a contact number
- The system gives you the option to set an alarm to scare and expose the offender
- If you can’t locate or recover your mobile phone, you can delete the information stored on your device.
Lock an iPhone
We’ll now explain how to restrict access to a lost iPhone or iPad:
- Enter here from any browser
- Enter your iCloud data to sign in to your account.
- The computers you connected to that data will appear
- Check the location of your device, remember that you can track imei iphone in real time
- Press «Lost mode» to block your team. By selecting this option you will be able to send a message to the person who owns the device and indicate a contact number
- With this tool, you can create a new PIN to enter the mobile phone and delete the information stored in the memory
- You can also sound an alarm if you want to scare or expose the killer