In this article you will know everything about the Opera browser and its functions in the Ubuntu system. We anticipate that the Opera is a Chrome-based web browser just like Google Chrome. Opera is in the Ubuntu Snapcraft package store and is very easy to install. In this tutorial we will indicate the three ways and these are the following:
- From the command line
- With Ubuntu software
- Using the Opera.deb package
What are the advantages of installing Opera Browser on Ubuntu 20.04?
- You can navigate in one of the systems older and more stable
- You have an ad blocker without the need to use other software
- You have the opportunity to add Chrome extensions
- It has a built-in and reliable VPN
- Import Chrome bookmarks and passwords into Opera
- It has a video pop-up feature that makes it easy to navigate to other pages while watching videos.
The first thing is to know what an ad unit is? And it’s a ad blocker It can be installed in some browsers and facilitates on-screen viewing. If you want to embed adblock in your work, you should look for it among its extensions.
Using Chrome extensions
We must remember that Opera and Google Chrome are two different browsers, however there are experimental or signaling functions that have the possibility install Chrome extensions in Opera.
To access Google Chrome extension in Opera Just press «Ctrl + Shift + E» and from there you can open the extension manager, if it doesn’t work for you, type «extensions» in the navigation bar and there you can access.
VPN or virtual private network is what allows you to locate your physical equipment, this is done through local networks. There is a possibility to attach VPNs that make it impossible to locate the equipment offering privacy or skipping censorship which make it impossible to access local content.
Opera has a VPN with the above features, ie the ability to hide your location for free without having to delegate its use to other VPN providers, this does not record web traffic As with some service providers, this is the concern of many who use VPNs.
The VPN service is paid in many cases, Opera offers it for free to its users without having to apply it on command, with just a button to activate it at any time.
Pop-up videos are the ones that appear along with floating effect in browser work and the procedure for watching videos is as follows:
- You need to open the Opera browser, you may have a desktop shortcut with the browser icon. You can also download it from the official website
- Once you’ve opened your browser, locate the URL of a website that contains videos: Youtube.com, locate a video, and select it to watch it play.
- Hover over the video or hover over the video and you’ll see the video pop-up window.
The advantage of this is that you can visit various pages and you will be able to watch the video while browsing.
- If you want to close it, there is an X button that appears located on the top right and voila, the video will fade. This happens with version: 63.0.3368.53
- Some sites do not open well
- The interface is small
- It is not easy to customize
- It has no torrent in its construction
- No progress bar for downloads
Different procedures for installing Opera Browser on Ubuntu 20.04
Among the advantages we can do with this browser is that it allows us to install WhatsApp for free in Opera Mini. There are three procedures for installing Opera on Ubuntu and are as follows:
From the command line
Installing programs and packages in Linux from a command terminal is a fairly quick and easy process:
- Add the following line /etc/apt/sources.list: deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable non-free
- Upload the package: # sudo apt-get update
- Opera-stable installer deb package: # sudo apt-get install opera-stable
With Ubuntu software
When you install Ubuntu on your computer find Opera via Snap, because Sanpd will find it in Ubuntu focal points. All you have to do is open the terminal and run the command to install Opera on the Ubuntu system. Don’t forget to add: sudo snap install opera
When you install it correctly, you will be able to see the following message on the screen if everything is correct:
opera 73.0.3856.284 from Opera (opera-software *) installed
Using the Opera.deb package
If you have Ubuntu and want to install this method, it is related to Opera.deb locate UBUNTU with:
- Press Ctrl + Alt + T to open Terminal.
- To execute the command add: sudo sh -c ‘wget -O – http://deb.opera.com/archive.key | apt-key add – ‘to add the Opera public key.
- Then run sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list with this you will add the Opera repository.
- The Gedit editor should appear, copy the following line in the Opera list: deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable non-free.
- Save the file and you should close Gedit.
- Run the sudo apt-get update command with this we update the repositories.
- And finally, run sudo apt-get install opera at install the Opera browser.
- Once the browser is installed, close the terminal.
- When you open Opera, you need to click Dash, the first icon in the left sidebar, type ope, and click the Opera icon.
If you like uninstall Opera from the Ubunt operating systemyou need to follow these steps:
- Locate the Software Center or Software Manager.
- Find the «Installed» tab and select this option.
- Select from the software you want to remove «Opera»
- Click Uninstall
- If you can’t open it, select (Control + Alt + T) otherwise type: sudo apt-get – purge remove Opera
- Done, the browser will be uninstalled.