Assembling a computer is very easy to do, really all you need is to know the parts, where they are assembled and to make the right connections. On this page you have everything you need to set up your own computer in a few hours.
What do I need to build a computer?
Actually you only need 7 pieces to assemble your own computer and these parts are:
- Cabinet. It is the chassis, box or tower where all parts of the computer go.
- Power supply. She is in charge of controlling all the electricity in the computer.
- Motherboard. The device is responsible for controlling all data traffic on your computer. It is usually the largest card in the cabinet.
- Processor. A square-shaped device measuring approximately 35 x 40 millimeters that performs all data processing.
- Radiator. It is in the same processor box and is responsible for keeping the processor at the proper temperature.
- Ram. Rectangular card of approximate size between 13 x 3 centimeters and is responsible for storing open program information.
- Disco hard. The latest technology for this device is known as an SSD and is responsible for storing all the information on your computer (operating system and files).
These are all the parts needed to assemble your computer. As important information, you should know that there are motherboards that already come with the integrated processor, this means that it comes as a single piece of motherboard and processor.
Tools needed to assemble your computer
Now that you know the pieces you need to prepare with appropriate tools to properly assemble your computer.
- Cross screwdriver
- Flat screwdriver
- Top tweezers
- Cutting pliers or sharp-pointed pliers
- Multimeter (optional)
- Antistatic wrist strap (optional)
- Plastic ties
Knowing this, we now get to work on assembling your computer.
Step 1. Open the cabinet
It seems like a very simple instruction, but you need to know which of the 2 covers is correct, to know this you need to look at the front cabinet as if you were pressing the power button, having this angle of view that you have to remove the cover on the left.
Now, after removing the chassis cover, you need to place inside a small bag with the power cord and a small bag with screws. Now continue with step 2
Step 2. Install the power supply
This fountain is screwed to the back of the cabinet, usually at the top, you need to arrange it so that the 4 holes of the fountain coincide with those of the cabinet, so that you can screw it correctly.
Step 3. Assemble the processor
This step is very important to do it carefully, I recommend doing it outside the cabinet, some prefer to assemble the motherboard in the cabinet and then assemble the processor.
I recommend you do it as follows:
- Place the motherboard on the cardboard box
- Open the processor box and remove all parts and instructions
- Hold the processor with your thumb and forefinger so that it does not touch the bottom or top, as shown in the image below.
- Identify a small triangle In one of the corners of the processor, you will also see this triangle on the motherboard, where the processor will be assembled.
- On the motherboard remove the plastic that protects the processor, there is a small lever that you need to lift so that the processor can be assembled.
- Now carefully place the processor on the motherboard, keep it be careful not to bend the pins and make sure you put it correctly with the above indication. Put the lever in the home position.
Step 4. Radiator
This accessory ensures that the processor has the correct temperature for proper operation and the assembly on the card varies depending on the type of processor (Core i7, Pentium, AMD …) in this step you need to help yourself with the instructions that come inside the processor box.
Here is an example of a processor heat dissipation model.
NOTE: Remember to connect the fan cable to the system board.
Step 5. Motherboard
Open the input box and remove all the accessories, find a small rectangular sheet, it must be assembled behind the cabinet, so to assemble it correctly you must follow this technique:
- Place the cabinet so that the right side is down
- Take the motherboard and place it (without screwing) inside the cabinet so that the monitor connections are to the back of the cabinet.
- Now place the sheet so that it joins the motherboard connections
Now remove the motherboard so that you can press the sheet so that it does not move, it can help you with the flat screwdriver and sharp pliers.
Now take the motherboard and fix it in the closet with the screws that went inside the cabinet.
Step 6. RAM
This step is very simple, you just need to remove the memory from the case and place it on the motherboard so that it assembles correctly, for this you need to keep in mind that it has a small slot at the bottom, because the locks are positioned correctly press it to prevent it from coming out.
Step 7. Hard disk
It is the file storage disk and is regularly placed behind the front cover of the cabinet, some cabinet models already having a special place for SSD hard drives (2.5 ″).
Complete the computer assembly
Now that you have all the parts you need for your computer to work, you need to make the electrical connections, the connections from the front panel of the case to the motherboard, and the data interface connections.
Because there is a wide variety of motherboards, I will tell you the basics you need to know to make these connections correctly.
- Locate the front panel pins on the system board
- Identify the cabinet connectors that go to the front panel pins (Pwer led, Hd led, reset, power)
- Connect each color in place with your instructions or based on the colors and description that comes next to the motherboard pins
- Connect the 4-pin power cord to one side of the processor
- Connect the larger connector (24-pin) to the system board
- Connect the power cord to the hard disk
- Connect the sata cable to the hard disk and the other end to the motherboard
There should be no errors in these connectors, as you can cause a short circuit, also each connector has its specific shape for each assembly.
DO NOT try to connect it by force, the assembly of these connectors should be easy and practical, so you realize that you connect them correctly.