You know if my disk is GPT or MBR It is of vital importance when installing a new operating system, because depending on the one you have, you will have the ability to have Windows 10 or on the contrary, you see yourself in the situation of installing an older version (Windows 7 or XP). Therefore, then in Tutowin10 we will teach you what kind of partition does your disk have (MBR or GPT), so you can act this way.
What is an MBR partition and what is it for?
MBR is the acronym for Master Boot Record these partitions are the oldest since they were established with IBM PC DOS 2.0 in 1983. You could say that it is the first physical sector that is assigned to a hard drive in the operating system.
You may be interested 👇👇
What is a GTP partition and what is it for?
GPT partitions have become a standard in physical hard disk partition tables since they were proposed by Intel to replace old MBR. This makes them have more advantages over them, as we will see below.
MRB and GPT differences
- Operating system compatibility: Although MBR It supports a variety of operating systems, is an older partition model, therefore not compatible with most current ones that use GPT such as: (Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Linux, etc.).
- MBR only supports 32-bit operating systems.
- GPT supports 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.
- Hard disk capacity: MSB can only host 2 Terabytes of storage capacity in front of 256 Terabytes which can support GTP partitions.
- MBR can only support 4 partitions the first versus 128 partitions which can support GTP.
- MBR supports boot functions on any operating system, GPT does not.
- MBR is used in the BIOS while GTP uses UEFI.
Which is better GTP or MBR?
The question to these answers is very ambiguous, because it will always depend on the operating system you are going to use, because as long as use an old version of Windows you can use the MBR format without any problems. However, if you plan to use 64-bit Windows 10 and you will have a hard disk larger than 2 Terabytes the best, without a doubt, is to use the GTP format as it is more current and you will avoid incompatibilities.
How do I know if my disk is GPT or MBR Easy and Fast 2021
Here are some tips to help you find out what type of partition your computer is using, use the method that best suits your needs.
The first method would be with the «Disk Management» tool, to access it, simply follow these steps:
- We go to the Windows search engine and type «Disk Management» (without quotes).
- I entered the best match.
- Here we select any disk drive with the right mouse button.
- I entered «Properties».
Once we get to the properties of the hard drive, we will do the following:
- Select the tab «Volume».
- And in the style of the partition we will see if it is GPT or MBR.
How do I know if my hard drive is GTP or MBR from CMD 2021
To find out the partition type from the command prompt, just follow these steps:
- We go to the search engine and type «CMD».
- We press the best match with right mouse button.
- We’re running it as an administrator.
- We write the order Diskpart (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
- Then I write «Disc list» (without quotes) and press Enter.
- We’ll see in a list that disk drives are marked GTP with an asterisk, if the asterisk does not appear, it means that they are MBR.
And in this simple way we can to know if a hard drive is MBR or GTP step by step. If you have any questions, you can always leave me a comment and I will try to answer as soon as possible. Remember that you can support this portal by sharing this content with your social networks. Thank you very much for everything!