computer monitors They have changed over time, becoming much more functional. These are the main output device that displays images and text to users. The main function of the monitor is to allow the user to interact with the computer, however new technologies have given more and more importance to monitors that create more and more advanced devices. But how many types of computer monitors are there?
Monitors are one of Parts of a computer indispensable to be able to view and manage the information. The screen quality of a monitor is measured by the number of pixels it is able to display in a given space, but there are other features that differentiate some monitors from others. Let’s see what they are.
CRT monitors These are the oldest that began to be manufactured, specifically, in 1923. This type of monitor allows images to be viewed on the computer through a video port that goes to the monitor circuits.
CRT monitor, uses electrons to transfer images and provides a combination of three basic colors, so the image and color quality is not particularly clear, but it is sufficient.
These types of monitors are large and extremely heavy, however they were the most common in the 80s and 90s. Today they are practically obsolete and, although the most modern have allowed adjustments to be made to improve the display and resolution, the truth is that it is no longer an option compared to the new, more advanced monitors that also consume less energy.
LCD or LED monitors
LCD monitors They gradually became popular until they became the most common type of monitor on desktop computers. To the space gain that these small screens allow, we must add the low power consumption and comfort that they offer when viewing images with a much more realistic color.
LCD monitors allow you to view color images without using an image tube, as they are made of liquid crystals. Liquid crystal molecules work by directing light entering from the light source to be able to view the contents.
There are three variants on the market of monitors with LCD technology:
- Twisted Nematic (TN): It is the cheapest type of LCD screen that can lose resolution in very fast animations.
- Super Twisted Nematic (STN): It is a more advanced type of LCD screen that improves the resolution in images that go very fast. Improves viewing at angles greater than 160º.
- Guest Host (GH): this type of screen is characterized by the content in the liquid crystal of a pigment known as GH which is responsible for light absorption, improving the work in different colors.
The minimum resolution of this type of monitor has a definition that varies from 1280 x 720 pixels to 3840 x 2160 pixels.
led display monitorsThey are very similar to LCD screens, with the difference that LED uses diode panels instead of fluorescent ones. In this way, much brighter tones and colors and better contrasts at higher viewing angles are obtained.
The minimum resolution for these monitors is 1024 × 768.
Monitor with TFT screen
monitors that have a TFT screen (Thin film transistor) are similar to LCD monitors for improved image quality, but are known as active matrix LCD monitors.
the main advantages of screens with TFT technology is that they lose weight, thickness and volume, so they take up less space and are more comfortable to wear. To this must be added the low power consumption of the screen, as it works with an LED backlight to illuminate the rear pixels. Image quality improves in resolution and, above all, are even less harmful to eye health.
Plasma screen monitors
plasma screen monitors It consists of a flat screen that uses a small cell system with ionized gas inside. Its main advantage is that it offers a particularly bright image in colors and lights and with a much improved contrast, so that we can enjoy much more realistic images.
Keep in mind that, especially with a plasma-screen monitor, keeping the brightness level at maximum can shorten the life of your monitor, so it’s best to use a lower level that keeps us going. .
Touch screen monitor
touch screen monitors They are the latest in terms of technology, as they allow the user to interact directly with the screen by lightly touching it with your fingers. This way, without just touching the keyboard or mouse, you can enter information into the system and view the results.
You can also interact directly with the screen using a stylus. There are three types of touch screens:
- Resistive screens: They are very precise and durable, because their operation is not affected by dust or water. However, they are thicker than usual and have less screen brightness, although they support the use of a pointer or finger.
- Capacitive screens: In this case, the screens have a superior color quality. On the other hand, they accept the use of several fingers at the same time, (this is what is known as multitouch), but they do not accept the use of any indicator, but a specific one.
- Infrared displays: They have an infrared light surface. It allows it to be touched with your fingers or any other object, although they are more expensive than the previous ones.
Today, you can enjoy magnificent contrasting experiences thanks to the increasingly advanced screen resolutions brought by advanced technology. Choose the one that best suits your needs so that the monitor is more functional.
Did you know …
A computer is as powerful as the human brain. It could perform about 38 trillion operations per second and could hold about 3,584 terabytes of memory.
Was it useful to you? Loading …