The latest version from Apple is for Windows users and means you can now manage your iCloud passwords on a PC.
The latest release of the Apple product is aimed directly at Windows users and means you can now manage iCloud passwords on a computer.
iCloud for Windows
Apple has been offering iCloud for Windows for years. The latest version builds on what is already available with the addition of a password management application for Windows and the Microsoft Edge browser.
The company delivered a Chrome extension for this earlier this year, and the new app brings the same functionality to Windows. Windows users who download iCloud 12.5 from the Microsoft Store will now receive the new iCloud Passwords app.
You can download iCloud for Windows here.
What does the iCloud Passwords app do?
The iCloud Passwords app lets you check your account information, update it, delete it, and add new accounts. Because it’s an iCloud app, any changes you make will automatically sync across all iCloud, iPhone, iPad, and Mac devices. Along with Chrome, it is also compatible with Edge, so you can get all those features through that browser.
This extends the iCloud functionality for Windows, with which PC users can access Photos, Mail, Contacts, Calendar and Safari.
What are the limitations?
The main limitation is that in order to use the application, you still need a handy Apple product to go through the two-factor authentication process. This makes the system a bit strange and I think some users might find the added friction of this a bit daunting for regular use or instead will choose a less cumbersome multiplatform password manager.
You must also be running Windows 10 or Windows 11.
How to enable iCloud passwords on Windows
To enable iCloud passwords on Windows, follow these steps:
- Log in to the iCloud app for Windows using a 2FA account with an Apple device connected with the same Apple ID.
- Open the application, select Passwords, and click Apply.
- If you want to use the extension on Chrome or Edge, you’ll need to tap Install extension next to your browser name and follow the setup guide.
- If you enable the extension, the password saving feature built into the browser will be disabled.
How to use the iCloud Passwords app
To use the app, simply open it, log in, and select your account. Then you can copy usernames, passwords or website addresses.
If it’s used with Chrome or Edge, when you visit a site for which you have a password saved in iCloud, just tap the iCloud Passwords button. You’ll need your Apple device next to you, and you’ll receive a six-digit 2FA verification code that you need to enter. The password will then be entered. To save a new password, you’ll also need to enter a verification code.
Understanding iCloud password icons
When the extension is installed, you’ll see iCloud Password Cloud icons appearing in your browser. One of the four icons should be visible. This is what it means:
- A blue icon with a key means that you have a password saved for the current site.
- A white icon with a key means the same thing, but it asks you to activate the extension.
- A black cloud means you do not have a password for the current site.
- A white cloud icon tells you to activate the extension and connect to the iCloud app for Windows.