Galaxy S3 is one of the Samsung phones that stood out the most years ago. However, this cell phone is no longer updated with its Android Jelly Bean system (4.1 – 4.3). That is, it did not receive the update to Android 4.4 (KitKat). This means that the Zoom application cannot be used even on this mobile phone. Fortunately, this mobile phone model was quite popular, so it had broad support from the developer community. So much so that, thanks to the unofficial ROMs that exist for this device, you can update it to Android 7 and even, if you are more risky, to Android 10!
The ROMs I’m talking about, unofficial or made by third parties (not Samsung), are not perfect and may have defects, but in general most things on the device work.
ROM Android 7.1.2 (Nougat)
For example, the ROM based on Android 7.1.2 (Nougat) and created by the Lineage OS community, an open source software, has MTP connection failures, occasional camera shutdowns or WiFi errors in some cases. However, there are also solutions to all these small problems that this ROM presents.
Although this is a ROM officially created by the OS Lineage community, it is not yet complete (it was in the initial development phase or The night, as I technically call it), so don’t expect everything to work properly. Although many users say that a Nightly version of the Lineage operating system can work acceptably well, you should know that it is not something completed.
As this is an official Lineage ROM operating system, you can follow the detailed tutorial for the proposed installation on its official website.
Download Android ROM 7.1.2 (build Lineage OS 14.1): Link, More information: XDA
Android 10 ROM
Another ROM for Samsung Galaxy i9300 is the one based on Android 10. However, this ROM or firmware is a bit more immature than the previous one (alpha), because here several things fail like GPS, Bluetooth, occasional screen failures and sensors, between what was detected. Therefore, if you want to install this ROM, you need to consider all these issues.
Although this ROM is «unofficial», it is a variant based on the Lineage operating system, so its installation should be the same as the official process mentioned above, which is followed to install a real Lineage operating system ROM.
Download Android 10 ROM (built on the Lineage operating system): XDA Developers
Cyanogenmod is the predecessor project of Lineage OS and was the most popular ROM at the time. Unfortunately, the official website no longer exists, but you can still find «mirrors» of its downloadable ROMs. This is the case with Android 6 ROM (Cyanogenmod 13) for Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300.
Unfortunately, this ROM is made by third parties and not by the official Cyanogenmod community and is also in the «alpha» or initial development phase, so that, like the previous ones, you can find several defects. If you want to download and test this ROM, you can find it at XDA-Developers. Here are the summary steps about installing it:
Important: This procedure can irreparably damage your device if you do it incorrectly. If you are not sure what it means, please do not try. If you go further, remember to do it at your own risk. Neither I nor this website are responsible for what may happen to your mobile phone.
- Install a custom recovery, such as TWRP, CWM, or your own Cyanogenmod recovery on your device. You can use Odin computer software for this.
- Download the Cyanogenmod ROM (which will be in .ZIP format) from the official website (link at the bottom of this article).
- Copy the .ZIP file to the root directory of the device (/ sdcard).
- Start Galaxy in recovery mode.
- In custom recovery, use the «Delete data / factory reset» option.
- Then, in the same recovery mode, use the Install option (or equivalent, depending on the recovery). Locate the ZIP file of the Cyanogenmod ROM in the device memory and install it.
This is the procedure in a very short way. The Cyanogenmod website provided a more detailed guide in English on how to install this software in the «Device Wiki» section, but unfortunately this site has ceased to exist.
- Unfortunately, this process cannot be performed directly using Odin (without custom recovery), because Odin does not support ROMs in ZIP format, but only in .TAR format.
- It is highly recommended that you install a custom recovery before making this process and back it up. In case of problems with Cyanogenmod or installation, you can restore the phone to its previous state.
Download Android ROM 6 (Unofficial Cyanogenmod 13): Link
10 pages to download Samsung and Android firmware (ROM)
The Android 5 (Lollipop) ROM is now available for the Samsung Galaxy S3 mini
Frija downloads the official Android software for Samsung