Due to the development of technology, today we no longer have to buy a remote control for our TVs, because the vast majority of smartphones have ability to emulate this function and pretty good. Although, of course, you need to consider which are the best remote control applications to use on an old TV.
We’ll explain everything you need to know so you can use your Android or iOS mobile device as if it were a remote control. You will also know what the setup procedure is, as well as some common issues you will have at the moment use your mobile phone as a remote control.
What is the procedure for setting up your mobile phone as an Android TV control?
The process of setting up your phone to use it as a remote control is very simple. The main and fundamental thing is to locate which is the most suitable application for the TV you have.
That is, depending on the brand, each smart TV manufacturer has a different application in the application store, although you can also opt for third-party applications that perform exactly the same function.
Now, maybe the process is a little different depending on the type of phone you have. That is, if it is an Android or iOS phone. But, as such, the steps to follow are as follows:
- You need to go to the app store and download the appropriate app to your phone or tablet.
- Once you’ve installed it, you need to connect both your phone and your phone Smart TV to the same WIFI network.
- From your mobile phone, you need to open the application you downloaded and then select the TV name. If the name does not appear, you can follow a series of steps to resolve this issue, which are:
- See the PIN code that appears on the TV screen
- Copy that PIN to your mobile, and then continue syncing.
Once you’ve synced, you can now use your mobile phone as a remote control to access the settings and navigate through the applications and functions of your smart TV.
Now, we must mention a very important point and that this is a general procedure. I mean, it won’t be the same for all TV brands. Believe it or not, it is very important to know how to download and install Play Store on Smart TV, otherwise it will be difficult to complete the sync.
If you can’t find a suitable app for your TV or mobile phone, you can choose to use Xiaomi Mi Remote. Although it belongs to the Xiaomi brand, it can be used in different brands of smart TVs, either through infrared sensors or by connecting to the same WiFi network.
To get an idea of this procedure, with the Xiaomi app, it is enough that:
- Add a remote control and then choose the type of device you want to add.
- Added to that, you have to choose the brand of your Smart TV.
- Then you need to turn on the TV and point to the Smart TV with your mobile phone and press On.
- Just make sure the TV responds to the request and it will be set up automatically.
On the other hand, with other applications and brands it is not the same. For example, this is the case with Amzon Fire TV. To synchronize you must:
- Log in with your Amazon account details and wait for the same app to detect Amazon Fire Tv Estick.
- Then you have to choose which one you want to use and then copy the 4-digit code that is displayed on the TV screen.
- After that, both devices will be synchronized and you can get started use your mobile phone as a remote control.
Like Android devices, something similar is happening for iOS in terms of options. That is, you can perfectly use the typical Android TV application that you can find in the App Store or choose Universal TV remote control.
In terms of the process of connecting, syncing and using, it’s exactly the same thing I mentioned at the beginning in the Android device. Just follow the same steps whether you have an iPhone or an iPad, as both devices can serve you perfectly.
What problems might I have with the configuration and how can I solve them?
Now, while it is true that it is a quick and easy process, sometimes they tend to present problems that, although common, are somewhat annoying. Some of these issues are:
This problem occurs both when you try to set up IPTV and examine its list, as in any Smart TV that has never tried a link like this. This issue may be due to:
- A bad connection.
- You are not connected to the same wireless network.
- Some of the devices do not have the means to connect.
- There is a software defect that does not allow connection.
- The correct setup was not performed before connecting.
Use Bluetooth for pairing
There are applications through which their method of connection is via Bluetooth. Although it may still be an option, it is not recommended due to its limited distance. Although this will depend mainly on the version you have both Smart TV and mobile.
Thus, the typical error we usually make when using this environment is due to the fact that we are not within range or coverage of both devices. It may also be due to the fact that the Smart TV does not have this function or is outdated.
The phone you have may not have enough space to install these types of applications. If this is your case, you can easily fix it by adding a micro SD memory to your phone and installing the appropriate application there. You also have the option of delete files or applications from your mobile phone to install the new application.
The best applications to use your mobile phone as a TV control
Now that you know everything you need, it’s time to mention those apps to turn your phone into a remote control. Some of the most used by users are:
This application has very good reviews and comments on the Play Store. When you run the application and after syncing, you will have on the screen the image of a remote control with all the buttons you can use. Among the most remarkable features of the application we can mention:
- Works with almost all Smart TV devices.
- The interface of the application is quite simple and intuitive.
- It has excellent compatibility with TVs.
- It works using infrared technology, perfect for older or newer TVs.
AnyMote universal remote control
What characterizes this application the most is the high coverage capacity it has after synchronization. It can be installed on both mobile phones and tablets without any problems.
Note that this application at this time it is not compatible with Huawei, Sony or Vizio phones. Another feature we can highlight is that you can create macros so that you can execute multiple commands in one touch on the screen.
Turning directly to the main functions of this application, we must mention the most remarkable, which are:
- Ability to control and manage different devices simultaneously.
- It has a function that allows you to know the status of the device in real time.
- Ability to access the Smart TV configuration and change parameters such as time, operation or configure it to operate automatically.
Like the app above, you may have some problem using SmartThings because there are phones that are not compatible with. In addition, a minimum of 2 GB of RAM is required to use the application.
Video and TV SideView: remote control
Finally, we have Video and TV SideView: remote control, an application with a fairly elegant and easy to use interface. In fact, it has exactly what is needed so that anyone can use it without any problems. In terms of its main functions, there are:
- It has the Home button.
- Old TV compatibility.
- Library tab to navigate through the various options of the application.