Saltar al contenido

▷ Types of visas in the United States according to your travel purpose 2021】

▷ Types of visas in the United States according to your travel purpose 2021】

Mexicans traveling to the United States must have a visa to enter. There are visas for immigrants to live in the country and visas for immigrants for temporary travel or work purposes. In this article we will list all types of non-immigrant visas and in which cases they must be applied for.

Business and tourism (B1 / B2)

According to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (USCIS), those who travel to meet partners, to attend scientific, educational, professional conventions or a conference on a specific date are eligible.

It is also for those who will negotiate a contract, attend short-term training courses or process documents to purchase a property. Tourist visa B2
allows entry into the United States for a temporary period (normally six months) and is valid for up to 10 years. It is for shopping, visiting tourist attractions, visiting friends or relatives or obtaining medical treatments

cost from the tourist visa is 160 USD. For those under 15, the cost is reduced to $ 16. Click here to find out step by step how to request it.

Members of a commercial or flight crew (C1 / D)

Aircraft or cruise ship crew members may apply for this visa, if they land in the United States, as a stopover for part of their job. It may be required by personnel essential to the operation of the aircraft or ship, such as pilots, flight attendants, captains, sailors and engineers. Workers engaged in entertainment, beauty services, lifeguards and waiters on cruise ships could also apply for this visa, according to information from the Embassy.

Transit visa (C)

Those who only want to cross or stop in the United States must have a C transit visa.. «Immediate and continuous transit is defined as a rapid departure of the passenger without privileges or activities during the stop,» according to the State Department.

Student visas (F and M)

The F-1 visa is intended for foreign students who wish to enroll in an academic study program, either at a college or university.. It is valid for any level. This visa also applies to those who will study English in the United States as a second language. The M-1 visa is for those students who enroll in professional programs. They are characterized by the fact that they are shorter than university ones and have no academic value. Examples of professional programs are: culinary and culinary training courses, cosmetology, yoga, dance, non-academic photography courses.

Academic exchange visas (J)

The J-1 visa is for foreigners participating in exchange programs. According to the US Embassy in Mexico, they are designed «to promote the exchange of people, knowledge and skills in the fields of education, arts and sciences.» Students of all academic levels are eligible.

Religious professions (R1)

If you are a minister, priest, or employee of a religious association, you can apply for a special visa to travel to the United States.. The R visa is valid for two years and can be applied for if the organization you belong to has a legal non-profit counterpart in the American Union. In addition, the association must have a tax-exempt status under the 1986 Internal Revenue Code.

Domestic employees (B-1)

Domestic workers can travel with their employer to the United States with a B1 visa. All those who perform household chores for a salary are eligible, such as cooks, drivers, waiters, babysitters, gardeners, personal care and maintenance assistants. If I am accompanying a person with a non-immigrant visa, they must prove that they have worked for them for at least one year outside the United States and that they do not intend to stay at work forever in that country. Those who are employees of a US citizen can obtain a B-1 visa if the employer has frequent international transfers and will reside in the United States for a maximum period of four years.

Occupation based on petition (H, L, O, P, Q)

H-2A visa: temporary jobs in agriculture. Visa H-2B: It is intended for non-agricultural workers. For example, gardening, construction and cleaning. Visa L: corresponds to workers who will be transferred to the United States by their company. A Visa: People with extraordinary skills or achievements in science, arts, education, business or sports. They should check their achievements with awards, international recognition or publications. Visa P: for artists, performers or exchange workers who make a traditional ethnic, popular, cultural, musical, theatrical or artistic presentation. Visa Q: cultural exchange in a school, museum, business or other cultural institution.

Press and media (I)

They must be employed in magazines, newspapers, television and radio. Reporters, translators, editors, analysts and presenters are eligible. Persons providing «purely technical» services are not considered in this category. If you are a communicator and have to travel to the United States for work, you will have an I visa.

Traders (E-1)

You may use it to export or import goods or services to that nation as established to facilitate and enhance economic interaction. How should the business be? «Trade» refers to the international exchange of goods, services and technology. Ownership of commercial items must pass from side to side.

Members of international organizations (G)

Visa G1: Can be obtained by members of a permanent mission from recognized governments going to an international organization.

Visa G2: It is granted to representatives of a recognized government who travel temporarily to attend meetings of a designated international organization.

Visa G3: Non-governmental representatives have the opportunity to request it.

Visa G4: People who will travel to the commission for a designated international organization, such as the United Nations, can apply for it.

Diplomats and employees, Mexican federal government (A)

Class A-1 is offered to heads of state, ambassadors, consuls, government ministers or members of the federal cabinet or representatives of the European Union and African delegations. The A-2 visa is granted to persons who will work in an embassy or consulate in the United States, government officials who will carry out official activities and military who will carry out a military stay in a military base, embassy or consulate.


Eligible professionals to work with US employers include accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists and teachers.
Those who are not on the list of jobs in the Free Trade Agreement or who do not have a job offer from an American will have to settle for applying for an H-2A or H-2B visa.

Visa for victims of trafficking in human beings (T)

«It’s a temporary immigration benefit that allows victims of a severe form of human trafficking to stay in the United States for up to 4 years if they help with the investigation,» USCIS said.

Victims of criminal acts (U)

The United States grants this visa to victims of violent crime in its territory to protect them while the crime is being investigated.. The U visa can also protect the victim’s family. It is essential that the applicant is willing to assist the authorities with statements and data to strengthen the investigation. This visa protects victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, kidnapping, rape, slavery, criminal assault and any crime that causes serious physical or mental abuse.